Hosted by Kansas City Kansas Community CollegeJoint Meeting of the Missouri and Missouri Valley Branches of the American Society for Microbiology March 9-10, 2018
The Missouri branch and the Missouri Valley branch of the American Society for Microbiology invite scientists and students to their annual meeting to be held jointly on the campus of the Kanas City Kansas Community College in on March 9-10, 2018 in Kansas City, Kansas. The meeting will feature lectures by two ASM Distinguished Lecturers and several prominent local microbiology researchers and oral and poster presentations by students from the region. The meeting is a great venue for undergraduate and graduate student researchers to gain experience presenting their research. Students can give a short oral or a poster presentation at this meeting and awards will be given to the top presenters in different categories. This meeting also is an excellent opportunity for microbiologists from Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma to become acquainted. We look forward to seeing you at the meeting, and we encourage students to submit abstracts of their research.
Schedule Overview (see full schedule below for more detailed information)
- Friday, March 9 | 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Saturday, March 10 | 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Invited ASM Distinguished Speakers and their Topics
- Dr. Melanie Mormille, Missouri University of Science and Technology: Archaea bacteria.
- Dr. Karl Klose, The University of Texas at San Antonio: Tularemia and Biodefense
Jewell Student Center on KCKCC, 7250 State Ave, Kansas City, Kansas See this location on Google Maps.
- Residence Inn, 1875 Village W. Pkwy, KCK (913-788-5650) has a Studio King Suite for $135 per night. We recommend you reserve early as the Big 12 basketball tournament is occurring in Kansas City this weekend.
- Preferred: Mail Registration form Mail Registration form and check for any registration fees (made out to “Missouri Valley ASM”) by March 2, 2018 to KCKCC 7250 State Avenue, K.C., Kansas 66110 (address on registration form)..
- At Meeting. Register at meeting and paid by cash or check made out to “Missouri Valley ASM”. Late fee will be applied.
- For Credit Card payment: Payee should email registration forms to Donald Rowen (email@example.com, 402-554-2143) by March 2, 2018 and a request to pay invoice will be sent back.
Abstract Submission for Student Presentations
Abstract Submission for Student Presentations: Due by February 28, 2018. Abstracts should be sent to Julie Shaffer, firstname.lastname@example.org . Formatting instructions are inside the brochure. Questions: email email@example.com, or call 308-865-8661.
March 9, 2018
|5:00-5:15 p.m.||Welcome||Lower Level Jewell|
|5:15-5:45 p.m.||Heather Seitz, JCCC—evaluating national data on student misconceptions in microbiology|
|5:45-6:15 p.m.||Mark Hoffman, —Medical data warehouses to inform quality improvements|
|6:30-7:30 p.m.||Dinner||Adjacent dining room|
|7:30-8:45 p.m.||Keynote speaker: Melanie Mormile— Soap Lake: Microbial Studies from a Salty Alkaline Lake|
|8:45-9:00 p.m.||Closing announcements|
March 10, 2018
|8:00-9:30 a.m.||Poster Session I (Undergraduates)||Lower Level Jewell|
|9:30-11:00 a.m.||Oral Presentations I 3 rooms with presentations||General Session 1, Room 2325 Medical, Room 2326 Undergraduate Session 1, Room 2335|
|11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.||Oral Session II 3 rooms with presentations||General Session 2, Room 2325 Undergraduate Session 2, Room 2326 Undergraduate Session 3, Room 2335|
|12:00-1:30 p.m.||Lunch and Keynote speaker: Karl Klose—Killer Bunnies and Bioweapons: Tularemia and Biodefense||Lower Level Dining Room|
|1:30-2:00 p.m.||Students meet with Keynote speakers||Room 2325|
|2:00-3:00 p.m.||Poster session II (Graduate Students)||Lower Level Jewell|
|3:00-3:30 p.m.||Erika Lutter, Oklahoma State University--Chlamydia|
|3:30-4:00 p.m.||Anna Selmecki, Creighton University Medical Center—yeast evolution|
|4:15-4:45 p.m.||Branch Business||Missouri—Room 2325 Missouri Valley—Room 2326|
|4:45-5:00 p.m.||Awards and Closing remarks||Lower Level Jewell|